I Shot a Man in Brooklyn, Just to Watch Him Die
Today it's sad because Johnny Cash died and so did John Ritter today. I wasn't very surprised that Cash had died, since his health wasn't that great, but Ritter through me off a bit. Stuff like that happens, but just falling over and dying is a scary thing and makes you think twice about future plans. Today I had some fun trying to get a Umax scanner to work on a co-workers G3 iMac running OS 9.1. For some reason the preview and scan would only give a blank greenish result. I tried the scanner on my iBook, running the same system and scanner software. It worked no prob. I went back to the iMac and got the same result. I had exactly the same software and extensions running, so it didn't make a lot of sense. I went searching for an answer on the Umax site and later to Google. I ended up finding more on how people were pissed at Umax for their lack of OS X drivers as well as Windows XP drivers. I'm guessing it's probably pretty easy to pick up a cheap Umax scanner on eBay these days. After a bit of searching I finally found this advice:
Symptom: When using a UMAX Astra USB scanner, you receive an all "white"
or "blank" image when generating a preview or scan.
1. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner.
2. Unplug the USB cable from the back of scanner.
3. Plug only the external power cord into the back of scanner..
4. Wait 10 seconds..
5. Unplug the external power cord from the back of scanner..
6. Plug the USB cable into the back of the scanner..
7. Plug the external power cable into the back of the scanner..
8. Restart your computer..
9. Preview image in VistaScan..
10. Previews and scans should appear as normal now.